As a scarce resource, water is vitally important for the Middle East region. Nearly 80% of water is consumed in agriculture by using traditional irrigation methods. Due to the adverse effects of climate change, water resources are declining sharply especially in the region. To mitigate the adverse effects, efficient use of water is crucial in all sectors particularly in agriculture.
With this in mind, the project named as “Disseminating Knowledge To Improve Agricultural Water Use Efficiency”
will create a platform where transfer of knowledge among different water institutes from each region country (coordinated by National Focal Points/Managing Committee Members) through a working group as demonstrated below, to disperse technologies and good practices on agricultural water use efficiency.
Fig. Project Working Group
There will be primarily 4 outputs as part of the project to be completed by the end of 2020:
- The Report on Water Efficiency in the Middle East: The importance and potential of water efficiency in the Middle East with a particular focus in agriculture will be presented in a collectively produced report.
- Capacity Building Activities: Following a training needs assessment, capacity building activities in the form of trainings and field trips will be carried out to increase technical knowledge and raise awareness of regional experts involved in water management regarding water efficiency.
- Training Manual: A training manual/handbook will be developed for educational experience and future reference.
- Policy Brief: Main strategic outcomes and recommendations for key decision makers and political leaders will be presented to bring up water efficiency to the agenda.
- All-around Meeting: Brief dissemination of actions of the Blue Peace Initiative to media and inviting media representatives and other members of the larger community of Blue Peace to the all-around meeting which to be held at the end of the project.